Thursday, April 2, 2015

Examining the "What is Consulting?" Video



This video presents a nice breakdown of focuses and types of consulting. The really nice thing about this is that it is calming. A go to thought when thinking about becoming a consultant is: "I have to be an expert in everything so that I can cover my bases regardless of what my client throws at me".  I now know better.

There are focuses such as Education, Healthcare, etc.  There are types of consulting such as strategy, operations, and IT.  Strategy speaks to a more top level big picture.  For the organization to do well identifying the target market would be an example.  Operations is regarding the day to day operations of the organization.  In Operations a consultant would examine business processes for efficiencies.  Regarding IT, a consultant would integrate a new system.  

As you may have already put together, you might have an Operations consultant work in conjunction with an IT consultant.  These are just examples.  The bottom line is that as a consultant you become a specialist in a narrow area, you do not need to be a jack of all trades.


No comments:

Post a Comment