Back to consulting. That is the point after all right?
Reading through chapters 1-3 I saw ideas from other classes regurgitated. Authenticity came up in our first class with Cheryl Harrison and it has come up many times since. The idea of getting buy in from the client came up before too, more so in regard to garnering it from your team as a good leader. The beginning of chapter one the five phases of Consulting seemed eerily similar to the 5 stages of Project Management from our last class.
PM 5 Stages
Initiating
Planning
Executing
Monitoring & Control
Closing
Consulting 5 Stages
Entry & Contracting
Discovery & Dialogue
Analysis & Decision to Act
Engagement & Implementation
Extension, Recycle, or Termination
While these stages do not match up perfectly. I saw them as similar. In a sense this should reiterate how tried and true these stages are.
I also found it interesting, the distinction made between being a consultant and a "surrogate manager". A true consultant is there to advise, not to do. He later did go over different levels in this regard too though. He made it OK to do sometimes. He explained that a consultant can act in different roles.
Consulting Roles
Expert
Pair-of-Hands
Collaborative
The role that seemed most powerful to me was the Collaborative role. In the book Block mentions how a consultant is a change agent. Utilizing the collaborative role seems to me to be very powerful. This is where you work hand in hand with the client. While a consultant has their experience and expertise, they are likely not an expert in that organization's culture. The client has that expertise. Working collaboratively is the ideal in my opinion. This is not to say that there is no room for the other two roles. There will definitely be time when the other two roles will be the prescription for success.
Rich, in the "What's New" section, is it comparing the book from 1998 to the most recent edition? The reason I ask is because I am reading the book from 1998 and find it to be very relevant to the world of consulting today.
ReplyDeleteYes. It is comparing the old book to the new.
DeleteRich,
ReplyDeleteYou hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the idea of getting buy in from the client, and approval from your team is a leadership skill. You also mentioned the similarities to the 5 stages of Project Management and compare it to Blocks consulting stages. I also agree that there are similarities with both concepts. While I was reading I was trying to figure out where I came across a similar concept and then I read your blog and my questioning came to an end! Thanks!
Glad to enlighten you. :-)
DeleteRich, I too saw a big connection between the 5 phases of consulting and the 5 stages of project management. It was really helpful to have those in front of me when reading, so thanks for putting those on your blog. As I mentioned last night, after reading I found that many of the skills needed for consulting are also skills needed for counseling. I'm sure you can agree since you have a counseling background as well. After our online meeting, I feel as though listening is one of the most important skills necessary. It is crazy how a simple skill that we preform every single day is SO important in so many professions.
ReplyDeleteYou got my brain juices flowing with this post RTL!!!!!!
Delete1) You're welcome regarding posting the comparison of the 5 stages.
2) Yes! Yes! Yes! I always tell people that if you don't know what to major in, major in psychology or counseling. I say this because I truly feel that it prepares you to do almost anything. Well anything where human interaction is necessary that is. Psychology teaches you all about how people work and when you know how people work you can very easily know how to interact with them.
3) I have to slightly disagree on how we listen every single day. Well slightly. Technically you are right. Everyone listens every day. Even if you are deaf you can still listen, well maybe the word is observe at that point. I digress. The point that I am trying to make is that while we listen every day, I do not believe that we actively listen every day. By we I refer to people in general.
Listening and active listening are very different. I believe that most people do not actively listen.
That is all...